IISD-CMI's Sustainability Principle
IISD-CMI aspires to respect to the goal of human wellbeing across generations and around the world, and is committed to including social, ethical, economic, ecological, and environmental and resource considerations in decision making. We hope our every employee, Supply Chain Vendors, Members, Partners, including even Interns and Volunteers etc those who are directly and indirectly associated with us, share this goal and learns how to engage effectively in reaching it.
To achieve this goal, we have established the following core sustainability principles related to
academia, planning and also our operations.
Advance sustainability knowledge
- Ensure that our Employees and all the stakeholders understand how the work they do can contribute to creating a sustainable world.
- Achieve excellence in all of our research and extension assignments, we do that can help solve the complex problems involved in creating a sustainable world.
Establish sustainability as a core value
- Lead sustainability by example.
- Integrate environmental awareness into Institute culture, and make sustainable practices a part of everyday life.
- Incorporate considerations of sustainability into all aspects of institute procurement of products, services and food.
Minimize water and environmental footprint and preserve the ecosystem
- Drastic reduction measures for Green House Gas (GHGs) emissions from Institute
operations by reducing energy use in existing Buildings, Achieving Energy Efficiency and Conservation, Green Building Design and Certification and greening our total Supply Chain process and adopting the sustainable procurement systems.
- Use water resources efficiently, minimizing total water demand by continuing to implement water conservation measures and incorporating infrastructure for future watersaving measures into our facilities.
- Construct and renovate Buildings to provide safe, productive indoor environments that use energy, water and other natural resources efficiently, with Deployment of maximum Renewable Energy Sources.
- Reduce the number of drive-alone commuters and avoid increasing the total number of trips taken during peak commuting hours, including the Promotion of Sustainable Transportation with Optimization of use of the Electric Vehicles, Walking and Cycling.
- Conserve resources through reduce, reuse, recycling principles with a Complete Waste Management Solution and Composting – moving towards a Zero Waste Institute, with a maximization of Circular Economy Potentials.
- Preserve and manage environmental resources, adopt eco-restoration methods, allowing the functioning of natural ecosystems and the long-term persistence of native species.
- Preserve and manage heritage resources to retain their historical and archaeological value, with maximize their usefulness for producing knowledge.
IISD-CMI Sustainability Policy in Practice
IISD-CMI Sustainability Policy, although primarily focuses on energy efficiency and conservation and climate change mitigation by adopting green house gases emission reduction measures, it also includes reuse and complete recycle of Institute waste, food, and water usage, - in fact, all of which can impact climate change. Practical and innovative sustainability efforts and methods are underway at IISD-CMI ranging from Composting of Biodegradable Wastes, E-Wastes to exploration of Optimal Conservation of in-house energy in all forms, leading to a Carbon Minus / Neutral Institute, with respect to Zero Water Foot-print, Carbon Foot-print and beyond. The activities focuse to create appreciate organizational Infrastructure to support all-round Sustainability and become an Energy and Resource Independent Institute in near future.
IISD-CMI Bio Compost Pit
IISD-CMI maintains a Bio Compost Pit, in regular basis, in the adjacent garden, in the front side, towards left corner, which is 100% hygienic.